Monday, January 9, 2012

Sauerbraten


Hey! I saw your post about the cookbook project. I couldn't pick any one recipe. So, one from family, one from the restaurant. Help yourself to anything. Introduce, edit, have at it. I really wanted to pass these along. I've worked food service all my life. I love food. Out of dumpsters, off of platters, I love food. Feasting, serving, chopping, tasting, whatever, it pleases me to no end.

The first is sauerbraten from my grandmother's landlady, Frau Doll. Schwetzingen, Germany 1963.

SAUERBRATEN
3-4# lb lean beef roast
3 T Flour
2 T salt
3 T lard or bacon grease
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1 c. onion, sliced thin
1/2 c. water
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c gingersnap crumbs
1/2 c. raisins
Roll meat in flour/salt mix and fry to brown in fat. Mix remaining ingredients, except gingersnap crumbs, and warm. Add browned meat to sauce and cover. Refrigerate 2-4 days, turning often to marinate evenly. Cook on stove top in a covered pot slowly over 3 hours or until very tender. Remove meat and bay leaf. Sieve or put into blender to mas raisins, add gingersnap crumbs and warm to thicken liquid. Serve thin slices with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment